Sunday, October 7, 2007

Fair Weather Fans

This weekend, as everyone knows, most of us Clemson students witnessed a horrible game of Clemson vs. VT. I'm just as disappointed as the next person that we lost, but I became really frustrated during the game at some of the comments and actions of our supposed Clemson "fans."

Maybe we're losing the game--maybe even by a large spread--but when fans all start packing up and heading out how does that make our players feel? Does it give them motivation to put up a fight until the end? They are frustrated and the coaches are frustrated--the last thing they need is for the fans to be frustrated with them to the point that they feel a football game is no longer worth their time. I question their motives in the first place--do they only enjoy the game when Clemson is winning? What happened to watching the game for the sake of the game--applauding successful plays, trying to predict the next one, or just hoping for a turnover. I personally enjoy the game MORE when we're losing, because it gives me something to cheer for and makes me focus more intently on the game. What fun is it to cheer for a team that wins most of their games?

As if leaving isn't bad enough, rude comments from the fans about their own team anger me even more. If I heard another "What is he doing?? Anybody could have caught that" or "I could coach this team better than Tommy Bowden" comment I probably would have kicked someone. To make matters worse, a "Fire Tommy" chant started behind me to the tune of "Let's go Tigers." Of course I started chanting "Let's Go Tigers" as loud as I could.
Whatever their personal opinion is about the coach, a losing football game is not the time to bring it up. Write a letter--call Terry Don Phillips--whatever--just don't start a chant against your own Head Coach! When you are a Tiger fan, you are a fan rain or shine, win or lose, and no matter who your coach is. If we were winning the game and their name flashed up on the scoreboard saying they won a Tailgate Package where they got to hang out with Tommy Bowden, I'm sure they wouldn't have turned it down. One game, nor the opinions of some drunk kids in the student section, has little impact on a coach's professional career.
The point I'm making is--if you're a fan, stay until the end and cheer the whole time no matter what. If you don't, that's fine, but don't call yourself a Tiger fan.

No comments: